Phantomjs fails to load HTTPS issue as switching to tlsv1

I had an apps to use phantomjs to generate a report by using Google Charts.

The apps will spawn a child process to execute phantomjs command, to load a web page that contains the charts, and then take a screenshots saving into JPG, which later convert into PDF for archive.

In the code, it needs to load the following JS URL from Google:, which is HTTPS based.

Suddenly it is stopped working since last month.

By checking the log and found that PhantomJS encountered JavaScript error: “ReferenceError, can’t find Google”. Hey, I tried to open the web page in my local Chrome browser, and it still working. I tried to CuRL from my server, still can download the page. So I suspected might be SSL issues on PhantomJS.

Tried googling and found a solution. As Google had already deprecated the old version of SSL (SSLv3) and use TLSv1.

In the command line, we need to add one more option: –ssl-protocol=tlsv1, to bypass the HTTPS error, and it turns out it is working now.

phantomjs --ssl-protocol=tlsv1 your-code.js

Author: fyhao

Jebsen & Jessen Comms Singapore INTI University College Bsc (Hon) of Computer Science, Coventry University

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.